Recognizing the specific legal barriers transgender people face in accessing safe and affirming housing, employment, and medical care – especially transgender women of color who have been homeless and/or incarcerated –the TransLegal Program provides holistic and affirming legal services, self-help legal assistance, and legal education to transgender people to support the overall mission of the TransLife Center (TLC) and the personal success of its participants.
TransLegal helps participants with the following services:
- Help with changing name and/or gender identity documents,
- Assistance in obtaining public benefits,
- Criminal legal advocacy,
- “Know Your Rights” educational workshops and open legal clinics,
- Civil rights/discrimination advocacy, and
- Employment/labor law matters
To learn more about the TransLegal Program, you may contact the TLC’s TransLegal staff at 773-248-5200 x 414 or by email.